Do you want to start a medical waste disposal franchise but you lack ideas? If YES, here are 16 best medical waste disposal franchise opportunities for sale and their cost.
These days, disposal of medical waste is one of the major challenges that is faced by most healthcare providers. This situation is dicey when you consider the complications that can come with concerns like HIPAA, epidemiology, potential civil litigation, and state and local regulation.
Medical waste can be said to be any type of waste that contains any material that may be considered to be infectious. By this definition, waste generated by healthcare facilities like physician’s offices, hospitals, dental practices, laboratories, medical research facilities, and veterinary clinics can all be considered to be medical waste.
Medical waste can contain bodily fluids like blood or other contaminants. The 1988 Medical Waste Tracking Act defines it is as waste generated during medical research, testing, diagnosis, immunization, or treatment of either human beings or animals. Some examples are culture dishes, glassware, bandages, gloves, discarded sharps like needles or scalpels, swabs, and tissue.
Other examples of medical wastes include;
- Anything that is soaked in blood (gloves, gauze, gowns etc.)
- Human or animal tissues created during procedures
- Cultures of infectious diseases/agents
- Any waste produced in patient’s rooms with communicable diseases
- Discarded vaccines
Here are some medical waste disposal franchises to buy in the United State of America;
16 Best Medical Waste Disposal Franchise Opportunities for Sale and Their Cost
1. Bio-One: Bio-One follows strict state guidelines for safely removing and disposing medical waste, thus minimizing the risks associated with these bio-hazardous materials. Bio-one Technicians offers 24-hour emergency response and weekly/monthly/quarterly transportation and disposal of bio-medical waste from medical examiners offices, hospitals, dental offices and nursing homes, and other facilities that generate bio-hazardous waste.
According to their website, Bio-One experts are careful to properly dispose medical waste that potentially carry blood borne pathogens. In addition, they also counsel paramedics and first responders—professionals at risk of handling bio-hazardous material—on how to best handle medical waste and limit the risks associated with their work.
- Minimum cash requirement: $40,000
- Total investment: $75,500 – $85,150
- Net worth required $150,000
- Franchise fee $35,000
- Financing assistance: 3rd party
2. Stericycle: Stericycle has decades of experience providing solution to the various waste disposal needs of their clients. They manage the disposal of regulated medical waste and biohazardous waste as well RCRA hazardous waste. In addition, they are also one of the leading providers of OSHA compliance resources that make it easy to protect your business and keep your staff trained on OSHA standards.
3. Rumpke Consolidated Companies Inc: Rumpke is a facet of the medical waste management industry and has been since 1932. Based in Colerain Township, Ohio, the company serves several states in the area. The company is still in the Rumpke family, with Bill Rumpke Jr. as its current CEO. He was awarded Ernst & Young’s Entrepreneur of the Year Award for 2013.
4. Advanced Disposal Services LLC: Advanced Disposal Services serves a wide variety of customers, from private residences to the U.S. government. However, a big part of the company’s focus is on education. It’s committed to educating the public about landfill usage, proper recycling techniques, and the life cycle of trash. Its education wing is extensive, and promotes more efficient waste management.
5. Clean Harbors: Clean Harbors specializes in environmental, energy, and industrial waste management services. They offer a wide range of services, including high-risk ones emergency response, medical waste and chemical packing. In North America, Clean Harbors manages more than 3,000 environmental emergencies annually.
6. Waste Management Inc: this company is one of the major waste management companies in America today. A big part of WM’s business revolves around sustainability. From their EFW efforts to its landfill habitats, the company is greener than just its logo. It’s also taken to reducing carbon emissions for its fleet of vehicles. Waste Management or (WM) if known for their medical waste disposal services. They specialize in commercial medical waste disposal.
7. Citiwaste: Citiwaste is a medical waste disposal service company for New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts. They have been in business for over 33 years. Citiwaste also offers hospital waste disposal.
8. Sanpro Waste: Sanpro Waste is a medical waste transport disposal company. The companies goal is to be the best priced medical waste company around. To prove it, they offer a $50 Dollar Challenge. They promise to beat your current rates and if they can’t, you win fifty-dollar visa gift card!
9. MedPro Waste Disposal: MedPro Waste Disposal is a biohazard waste pickup and disposal company. What makes their company unique is they offer a Savings Calculator! Medpro’s core values is to save you money for waste disposal. For added convenience their website offers Instant Chat.
10. Waste Connections Inc: Waste Connections serves primarily rural and secondary markets and its avoidance of the ultra-competitive urban markets has been successful. They believe their advantage is the streamlined control of the waste stream, since they can provide all the services necessary from in-house, thus driving efficiency.
11. Progressive Waste Solutions Ltd: Progressive Waste Solutions does quite a bit of business in the home services department. They offer various services, from large dumpsters to collection of landscaping. The company also strives to meet LEED requirements and trains its construction and demolition teams on how to do so. Responsibility is a big part of the business, and they ensure waste is disposed of in such a manner.
12. Sharps Compliance: Sharps Disposal, also known as Sharps Compliance is a medical waste disposal company. A family owned and run business, Sharps Compliance must be doing something right because they have been in business since 1989. You can request a medical waste quote directly from their phone number or email.
13. BioServeUSA: BioServe is a biomedical waste management company. They have been in business since 1997. If you live in the New England area, you can save up 90% with their waste disposal services. What makes BioServeUSA’s website different from the others is that it offers compliance and training videos .
14. 1-800-Got-Junk: 1-800-Got-Junk? offers junk removal, medical waste disposal and dumpster rental services for homes and businesses with a focus on diverting as much as 63.5% of what it collects away from landfills by aggressive recycling and donating of materials to community groups and charitable organizations.
The company conducts bi-annual audits of its environmental practices and provides franchisees with reports that track their landfill diversion efforts. Up-front pricing is determined by an in-person quote based on volume. Founded in Canada in 1989 and franchising since 1997, the number of locations has declined in recent years from a high of 312 in 2008 to the current total of 156, of which 25 are located outside the U.S.
15. BioMedical Waste Solutions: BioMedical Waste Solutions is a medical waste disposal company. They have been in business for over 12 years. A unique feature they have is that you can request a quote in 10 seconds! Customers would say BioMedical Waste Solutions is affordable and you can count on them. They are 100% compliance & certified with OSHA, EPA & HIPPA.
16. PureWay Total Compliance: PureWay Total Compliance is a privately held company that offers sharps and medical waste disposal. Feel safe working with PureWay as they have no medical waste contracts. They are one of the few Medical Waste Disposal Companies that has claimed their Yelp page.
Founder / Publisher at Profitable Venture Magazine Ltd
Ajaero Tony Martins is an Entrepreneur, Real Estate Developer and Investor; with a passion for sharing his knowledge with budding entrepreneurs. He is the Executive Producer @JanellaTV and also doubles as the CEO, POJAS Properties Ltd.