The Minnesota Correctional Facility (MCF)-St. Cloud serves was opened in 1889. Originally known as the Minnesota State Reformatory for Men, it was designed to rehabilitate first time “offenders” between the ages of 16 – 30, through industrial work-programming activity. The site was chosen to utilize the quarrying of granite for the construction of the facility and it was largely built with inmate labor. While the facility no longer has the extensive industrial programming it once had as a Reformatory, it has the distinction of having the only Masonry and Barber programs in the Minnesota DOC. MCF-St. Cloud also has the distinction of having the first female warden (the late Patt Adair) appointed to a male adult facility.
The most unique information for the facility is its iconic granite wall. Completed in 1922, the wall is considered the second largest continuous wall made from inmate labor. The first is the Great Wall of China.
In 1996, the facility became the admitting facility for all adult male inmates in the Minnesota DOC. It continues this function today. The vast majority of inmates are assessed and classified and transferred to other DOC adult male facilities. It also has two chemical dependency programs and offers adult basic and general education programming.
After being sentenced by the court, offenders are transported to MCF-St. Cloud to be processed into the system and then evaluated. In the evaluation process, the DOC will determine the following:
- Inmates receive medical, dental, mental health, and substance use disorder screen/assessments. All areas of service are provided for inmates according to their individual needs.
- Health Services provides a variety of services to provide a continuity of care for inmates, including: physician, nurse practitioner(s), eye doctor, physical therapy, and dentist.
- The primary goal is to maintain in inmate’s health while in a correctional facility.
- Contracted utilization review services provided by Centurion, with specialist consult appointments scheduled as needed to manage an inmate’s medical needs.
- Medical care that exceed the abilities provided at MCF-St. Cloud are transferred to the appropriate health care facility, either within or outside of the MN DOC system
- After the evaluation is complete, the inmate will be sent to the facility that can best meet their custody level and programming needs. However, in some cases inmates will remain at St. Cloud.
Visiting – St. Cloud
St. Cloud is the Intake Center for the Minnesota Department of Corrections. Inmates on Intake status may only have two adult visitors on their list.
Hours of Visiting:
Thursday and Friday
3:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Visitors must be registered by 8:30 p.m. The registration/information desk is closed from 6:30 p.m. – 7 p.m. You may visit 1 or 2 hours during the week.
Saturday and Sunday:
8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and
12:30 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Visitors must be registered by 10:30 a.m. and by 3 p.m. All visits are one hour on the weekends. There is NO VISITING from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Please note: If you register for a visit after 2:30 p.m. on the weekends, the start of your visit could be delayed due to the 3 p.m. facility count when all offender movement stops. This could result in a visit less than one hour in length.
Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday:
Holidays (see below):
Restrictive housing population
Thursday and Friday
2 – 3 p.m.
Registration for restrictive housing visits is from 1:50 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. No visit are allowed during first 24 hours in restrictive housing. No visits if on Phase 1, Restrictive, or High level Control status. All visits are non-contact only. Advance appointments are required. Call (320) 240-3000 and ask for information desk (ext. 5504).
Visiting Staff Contact: 320-240-3000, ext. 5504. Please call during visiting hours.
All visiting applications must be sent to MCF-Rush City Attn: Visiting Unit, 7600 525th Street, Rush City, MN 55069.
Directions: St. Cloud is located 70 miles northwest of the Twin Cities. Take I-94 west to the Clearwater exit #178. Go right on Cty. Rd. 24 for about 5 miles to Hwy 10. Go left on Hwy 10 for about 10 miles. The granite wall will be visible when approaching St. Cloud. Take left on Hwy. 301 and follow signs to the visitor parking area.
Visiting Regulations: Please read the Inmate Visiting Information prior to visits.
There is no visiting on the following State recognized holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- President’s Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
- Memorial Day
- July 4 (Independence Day)
- Labor Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving and the following Friday
- Christmas Day